Pastor Rick was appointed as the Senior Pastor of Asbury Church in 2015. He was ordained in 1994 after being called into ministry in 1988. He has been involved in leadership in the local church and beyond for many years including the Walk to Emmaus, Renewal and Revival ministries, and now leads on a local, regional and national level in the Global Methodist Church.
Susan has been on staff since July 2017. She has been married to Steve 30+ years. They have two daughters, a bonus daughter, and four grandchildren. Susan ministers to others by making hospital visits, homebound visits, and praying with anyone for any reason. She also enjoys the opportunity to preach and teach, vacations to Estes Park, CO, and visiting family in Scotland, Cyprus, and NY.
Nathan joined the Asbury Staff in 2019. He enjoys participating in the local music scene, songwriting, sports and video games. At Brewery Ministries, Nathan and his wife Nicole help facilitate discussions for those who are wrestling with questions and doubts. Nathan studied the Bible in its ancient Near-Eastern context at AWKNG School of Theology.
Wendy joined the staff in June 2015. She is a graduate of Heritage School of Evangelism and Communication and Friends University. She is the wife of Marc, mom to four great kids and grandma (Mudder) to eight amazing grandkids. Wendy likes all things music, photography, genealogy and travel.
Kate is Ministry Coordinator here at Asbury Church and serves on the Leadership Team as Lead in our Hospitality/ First Impressions
Department. Kate hit the jackpot when she married Mark Green, lead guitarist of Standing in the Colour, 10 years ago. Together they raise their two kids, Wren and Rook. Kate loves Jesus, people, community, books and builds wooden robots in her spare time.
Sarah has been with Asbury since 2015. She is married to Tyler who puts up with her really loud laugh and love of flip flops. Sarah and Tyler have twin daughters to keep them humble and hopping. She loves Jesus, family and her slightly crazy golden retriever, Lincoln.
Michael has worked part-time as Asbury’s IT Specialist for the past 10+ yrs maintaining Asbury’s fleet of computers. Starting in 2017, Michael moved to full-time at Asbury as the Facilities Manager. He maintains the Building and Grounds ensuring the congregation has a safe and comfortable time at Asbury. In addition, he maintains Asbury’s vehicle fleet, and still maintains the computer and network.
Mary Jo has attended Asbury Church since 2011. In January 2016, she came on staff as the Administrative Assistant. Before that she volunteered in the office. She loves working with the staff and the outings they have once a year. Mary Jo has four grown children, 15 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren AND two dogs, Hank and Zeke. Needless to say, there is always something going on in her household!
Ministry Purpose: To develop and provide spiritual, relational, organizational, and administrative leadership, oversee, and work with the Christian Education Program for Children and Youth, which includes the weekly Sunday School program for children/youth, Children’s Church, Wednesday night activities, and other special programming such as Vacation Bible School, Christmas programs, and other special events that may occur. The Children and Youth Ministry Director shall seek to foster a strong education program through building relationships with teachers, students, parents and church leaders that strengthen the students’ commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ. To introduce, instruct, and nurture children and youth in their Christian faith and in life, through Bible study, prayer, fellowship, worship, service, and evangelism.
Responsible to: Senior Pastor for day-to-day operations and for fulfilling responsibilities defined in the job description, defining goals, evaluation and communication of concerns related to the performance of the position.
1. Implement Christian Education program for Children and Youth using Safe Sanctuary principals and guidelines.
2. Primarily lead the youth in stimulating weekly programs as well as overseeing the children’s ministry
3. Coordinate, promote, implement, and further develop a quality Christian Education for Children and Youth to include Sunday School, after-school and weeknight activities including: Children in the following areas: Children Sunday School; Wednesday night activities; VBS and Seasonal/special events and Youth in the following areas: Youth Sunday School; Youth Church; Wednesday night activities; VBS and Seasonal/special events
4. Create a Children’s Council and Youth Council whose leaders recruit, train, and supervise teachers, leaders, and other required volunteers to meet the education program requirements of the church and assist in the classroom on a rotating schedule.
5. Develop children and youth in their Christian spiritual and social development by instructing and training children and youth to understand and implement the Bible into their lives.
6. Personally communicate educational program news frequently with the Senior Pastor, the Ministry Leadership Team and the congregation
7. Develop a Children and Youth Ministry strategic plan that supports the mission and vision of Asbury Church
8. Participate in the preparation and development of the budget for the Children and Youth Ministry
9. Communicate and work with the Marketing Director to publish all activities through newsletters, bulletins, and church calendar and social media as needed
10. Actively recruit children, youth and young families through church supported activities and programs in the community
11. Responsible for assuring that children and youth are considered and included within the life of Asbury Church
12. Participate with other Christian ministry professionals in the community as opportunities arise that fit within the church’s purpose and ministry vision.
13. Encourage and coordinate outreach opportunities and summer programs for Children and Youth as appropriate.
The Children and Youth Ministry Pastor plays a major role in the faith development of all ages within the church, both as a leader and as an example. Asbury Church seeks a person who has a solid understanding of the foundations of Christian faith, and who has a strong desire to nurture children and youth in the Christian faith. The person will need to be familiar with or be willing to learn Wesleyan doctrine and discipline and adhere to the theological beliefs of Asbury Church and the Global Methodist Church. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs, who also values the team concept of ministry, and accepts suggestions from the Leadership Team and the Senior Pastor.
· A degree or background in a relevant field of study
· Spiritual maturity and high moral and ethical conduct
· A sense of call and a passion for working with children and youth and team members – must be able to inspire and encourage.
· Friendly, enthusiastic, and flexible team approach while working with children, youth, parents, and staff members.
· Good organizational, teaching, administration, and computer/technology skills
· An understanding of child and adolescent development and skill level
· Ability to relate to children and youth and be able to teach them about Christ.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Vital relationship with Jesus Christ
· Ability to recruit, train, organize and motivate volunteers for children’s and youth ministries.
· Desire to encourage multi-generational fellowship.
· Spiritual gifts including but not limited to leadership, administration, and teaching.
· Teachable, servant’s heart; team builder and team player
· Shares the vision, philosophy of ministry, and commitments of Asbury Church
· Be in relationship with youth, children, and their families. Seek out and meet with youth and children, sharing their joys and concerns, and challenging their spiritual growth. Minister to their needs and make appropriate care referrals when necessary.
The Children and Youth Ministry Pastor position requires flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. The position is full time (40 hours per week) and salaried. However, the actual numbers of hours required during any given week are those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. It is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year. Expectation is that director will work on Sundays well as other specific times as agreed upon with the Senior Pastor.
It is expected that the chosen candidate will:
· Keep the church office and the Senior Pastor informed as to how he/she may be contacted.
· Notify the Senior Pastor and those in children/youth leadership positions prior to any unforeseen absence from regularly scheduled hours, events or duties, and provide a suitable substitute in case of anticipated absence.
· Adhere to hours and schedule discussed and agreed upon with the Senior Pastor.
· Seek approval for continuing education by Senior Pastor
· Participate in opportunities for periodic review and goal setting.
· Contact Asbury Church Board members with any concerns that should arise.
A Criminal Background and Safe Sanctuary background check will be required References- Professional and Personal (minimum of three)
Valid Driver’s License
Salary commensurate with experience Probationary period will be 90 days
Send a letter of interest and a resume addressed to:
ATTN: Sarah Brooks
2801 W. 15th St.
Wichita, KS 67203
Or e-mail – email@example.com
Subject Line: Children/Youth Pastor Position